Sunday, October 22, 2017

We're not in Kansas anymore...

...but maybe we should be.

I was lucky enough to see these guys live in 1983, shortly after Steve Walsh left the band. They were perhaps the best instrumentalists I had ever seen, and still are to this day. Hyper-talented. Everybody playing everything. And singing at the same time in multi-layered harmonies.

This came back to mind recently because my 13 year old daughter likes a band called Panic at the Disco. They did a cover of the song Carry on My Wayward Son for all the old dads in the audience who brought their daughters to the concert. Not a bad thought, and not a bad version. Relatively.

Panic at the Disco - Carry on My Wayward Son (2011) - Not bad for a bunch of young pups... Song starts at about 1:40.

Carry On My Wayward Son  (1976) - The real deal. Raw magnificence.

And again in 2009 - Not bad for a bunch of 60 year olds. So much for panicking at ye old disco. Steve Walsh. Kerry Livgren. Richard Williams.

No offense Grace.

OK. Some offense intended. Don't question your elders... Sometimes old school is the best school.

Hence... Miracles Out of Nowhere (43 minutes in). Old School is the best school.

I rest my case.

No comments:

Post a Comment