Sunday, November 4, 2018

Dungeons and Dragons Relics

These recent D&D remembrances have led me back. Back to the basement. Where the relics of the past, in the form of old D&D and fantasy RPG materials live, safe in their bookcase. So here are a few of the prized possessions, in this regard, which I am happy to still own. Sadly, there are some things that I sold off years ago that I wish I still had, but thankfully none of the truly good stuff. I couldn't bring myself to sell them off then, despite their value, for which I am thankful...

The "white box" books; the first three books. Original D&D in its first format. Not the truly first editions, but close followers thereon in the form of 3rd/4th/5th printings of those first three books in a white box instead of the original wood grain box. Also the First and Third supplements (missing supplement #2, Dave Arneson's Blackmoor, which I never owned).
Original D&D

Other TSR stuff.
Rogues Gallery - Pre-generated NPCs

The first set of Advanced Dungeons and Dragons hardcover books. Somewhat the worse for wear after very hard use in the teenaged years, but as with all of my collection, in very good shape all things considered...
AD&D First Printings

A few of the old original adventure modules in the original monochrome printings.
Old TSR Adventure Modules

The City-State of the Invincible Overlord by Judges Guild. Amazing early maps in these, and a tremendous amount of detail. Overkill, we would say these days.
Invincible Overlord

And Dark Tower.
More Judges Guild

Carse, Jonril, Tulan of the Isles, the Black Tower, etc, by Midkemia Press. Authored at least in part by Raymond Feist who would go on to become a famous fantasy author.
Midkemia Press

A bunch of Second Edition era Forgotten Realms materials, some of which are now quite valuable. This is the era of stuff where I owned other things and sold a few of them (Maztica and Kara Tur boxed sets, etc...)
The Shelf of Old Stuff

Included on the treasured Shelf of Old Stuff are such things are the two Ruins of Undermountain boxed sets, the Ruins of Myth Drannor boxed set, a couple old versions of the Forgotten Realms campaign setting, the old Waterdeep city boxed set, and some Middle Earth role playing stuff, including the magnificent if unwieldy Moria folio. On the lower pictured shelf are many/most of the first and second edition D&D/AD&D modules. There are also a few editions of basic D&D (Holmes and Moldvay).

Lots of good memories here. (And kids, when I'm gone, don't throw these in the recycle bin please...)

[A quick clarification: Virtually everything above, and everything I own that is old stuff, I own because I bought it when it came out. Despite my recent (2014+) dive back into D&D, one thing I have been able to successfully resist the urge to do, to this point, is to go back and troll eBay for all the things from way back in the day that I didn't ever own, and to buy them now. I'm not sure exactly why this is, as knowing myself and being honest with myself, this is the sort of thing I would typically do... Perhaps it is because much of these old things aren't that good (sacrilege for a different blog post), and without some personal connection to them or memories that they would conjure, I am aware that they wouldn't have much meaning to me. Going back and re-purchasing bulk lots of earlier Dragon magazines that I used to own, sold off at some point, and enjoy owning again is a different matter, and I do some of that...]

No comments:

Post a Comment