Tuesday, June 30, 2020

Billy Squier...Nobody Knows

YouTube's suggestion algorithms are...scary good? The rathole sucked me in again tonight, but presented me with a gem that I had not listened to, or thought about, in...maybe almost 39 years?

I was doing some work on my laptop this evening, with a few Rangers of Shadow Deep battle report videos playing in the background on the iMac (related to my solo gaming experience last night). Then there was an email that I was thinking about regarding the upcoming (we hope) marching band season. Which reminded me of Ozzie Osbourne's Crazy Train, which the band does a version of after the end of games (lots of teenage screaming and dancing). So I searched for Crazy Train videos and had that playing. For some reason YouTube equated Ozzie Osbourne and Black Sabbath with Billy Squier, which suggested a whole bunch of early 1980's Billy Squier videos, from both the Don't Say No (1981) and Emotions in Motion (1982) albums (which I should note that I have both of on vinyl in the basement...with nothing to play them on).

Without bothering to type it all out, Billy Squier had a lot of great songs in the early 1980's. A lesser known (i.e. not a popular MTV video) song, but probably my favorite song of his was Nobody Knows from Don't Say No (1981).
Don't Say No (1981)

How does YouTube know to suggest this one particular song to me? After watching Ozzie Osbourne videos?

Get out of my head.

No comments:

Post a Comment