Wednesday, August 5, 2020

Mr. D, and High School Band

I was sad to see where Brother Dave posted on his blog that Mr. D, our high school band and orchestra director, had passed away. [see Dave's Musings link at right]. We were in SHS in the early 1980's, and Mr D retired way back in 1991. A very long time ago...
I don't know that I could add much to what Dave very eloquently said, other than "I completely agree".
Many of my fondest memories of high school revolve around the band room, and band and orchestra in general. High school wasn't always easy, especially the first couple of years, but the band room was always a safe place, and it was where most of my friends were.
As a volunteer for the Garnet Valley marching band in recent years, I have been back to Springfield 3 times for what are now "away games", and while much of what surrounds the football field has changed, the field itself is the same. Ghosts from the life of a much younger me haunt the place. I wouldn't want to guess at how many hours I spent on that field for 4 years as a trumpet in the marching band. Summer band. Evening practices. Games. Sweltering heat, bitter cold, and every temperature in between. A bunch of girls who weren't interested. A few who were.
It's funny...I can think back on 4 years at one of the most prestigious liberal arts colleges in the country and feel...not much. But I think back on 4 years at Springfield High School and smile, and have lots of good memories come flooding back.
As for Mr D, there are worse things, I think, at the end of a very long life, than to know that you touched the lives of a great many young people.
Rest in peace Mr. D.

No comments:

Post a Comment