Friday, April 22, 2022

Painting Again

It's been too long since I have painted anything in oils (or any media for that matter). My normal painting space, so as not to be shut away in the basement, is at the end of our dining room table in the dining room (which is very rarely used as a dining room). My makeshift "studio" got put away for the holidays, and one thing led to another and here we are in mid-April and I keep saying "I have to get my painting stuff out again..." So today I did.

Over the course of a couple hours this evening, with short breaks for checking in on how the Phillies were doing, I threw some paint on some canvas. In this case, Lukas 1862 oils on Michaels store brand extra smooth stretched canvases. The goal was just to use some paint after a 3-4 month hiatus. Both were painted from imagination.

The first is a view across a valley to the hills and horizon beyond.

Across the Valley (12 by 16 canvas, oils)

The second was a darker palette-cleansing exercise that turned into a springtime hillside in the moments near dawn. It's dark, but the light is coming...

Springtime Hillside at Dawn (14 by 18 canvas, oils)

Neither is a masterpiece by any means, but it felt very good to pick up a brush for the first time in about 4 months and do something. Anything.

This was intended to "prime the pump" and get me painting again, nothing more. And I think it accomplished that.

No comments:

Post a Comment