Friday, April 2, 2010

A Day in the Life - April 2, 2010

Pictures from today. At one point, I realized that there were a lot of different things going on over the course of the day, so I thought I would document them. The result is a glimpse into how someone with the attention span of a flea attempts to juggle family, household chores, hobbies and other interests with varying degrees of success.

What better way to start the day than with a roller skating session in the driveway with Grace.


Of course, Grace needs to play with the camera too, so here's me.


One of the things I have been working on (but not finishing) was a paint rack for my new painting table set up in the basement. It has been almost complete for a week or so, but I was one 18-inch piece of wood short of finishing. When at Home Depot the other day, I remembered to grab what I needed, so 10 minutes with a compound miter saw and a hammer completed it. Dropping it into place and organizing my paints was a simple little chore, and now I have better use of the space, ready access to all the paints, and most importantly I can see which is which.


Last year we were given a bunch of day lily and iris bulbs by a friend of Amparo's. They have been dormant in pots over the winter but every single one of them is sprouting this year, so we need to get them into the ground somewhere. We didn't really have a place in existing beds where we wanted to put them, but thought new beds at the base of the stairs down off the deck would be a good place. Carving out this little bed was more work than it looks like, being only about three feet on a side, but digging out turf, turning the dirt and all that takes a bit of effort. Day lilies are in an mulched and looking good. Irises will go into another new bed on the other side of the stairs this weekend.


Spring = deck time


Game tomorrow. Leo, Dave and Ryan are coming over to have a first run-through of the Lasalle rules for tactical Napoleonics. We expect this to be a fumble-through, as I have read the rules but don't know them very well, Leo has played once, and the others are brand new to it. I will takes some pictures and post my impressions after the game. In the meantime, sometime between now and then, I need to turn at least half of this table from a mess into a game board with troops set up. Hmm, I wonder when that will happen in advance of 7pm Saturday? (maybe 6pm Saturday...). First things first, these hundreds of Hundred Years War figs need to go away, or at least out of the way. I suspect they will line up in back and watch the new game...


Spring in southeastern Pennsylvania. The maples bloom early.


Re-basing 15mm Napoleonics. In order to try to be more flexible with my Napoleonic figs and yet not need to invest a huge amount of money in buying more, I am re-basing what I have in a format that is flexible enough to be used for Lasalle, Napoleonic Warfare, or From Valmy to Waterloo. The old stands on the right are turning into the new stands on the left. This may be an interim solution until I do have more that can be put onto denser bases for better visual appeal, but I want to be able to use them now and I need more stands.


Lastly, at the end of a busy day, this is where I can often be found in the warmer months.

No comments:

Post a Comment