Thursday, April 15, 2010

Introduction to Geocaching

Over the past few months I have been talking to a high school friend, Ellen, and the topic of geocaching has come up. This has been a hobby of hers for some time now, and discussing our various interests, she thinks that it might be something I would enjoy. She was driving back to Pennsylvania to visit with her parents for a few days, and we have planned to meet for lunch on Monday while she does a spa trip to Hershey. While she was driving by my area today though, we arranged to meet for a little while at a local park, Newlin's Mill, where she could spare a few minutes to show me how a gps works and find one or two of the three caches that are hidden in the park.

We were able to meet as planned (on Tax Day), did find two caches near the parking lot, and it seems like I would like geocaching very much. I wish we had more time to play around with it, but she was due at her parents' house and needed to get going. I will have to look into what a lower end gps unit would cost. I suspect I will be buying one soon!

It was also very nice, and kind of surreal in a way, to see someone that I had not seen in person in almost 25 years, and had not had any contact with prior to February. I am looking forward to lunch on Monday when we have more time to talk.

No comments:

Post a Comment