Saturday, January 22, 2011

Dakotas trip research, Part 1

or, The Hook is in Deep

Following my prior post about my intention to join the Boys in their Dakotas trip this summer, I have been spending a few extra moments here and there poking around in some online resources on parks and sites in the area. This will help me get a better understanding of what there is out there to do, and what I might want to have on my "must" list.

Knowing that Devils Tower is on Leo's list, I have looked at that first, and my first impression is that this would be on my list too. Admittedly, I think that everything I look at is going to be on my list, and unless we are going to go for a month, many things won't fit. That being said, Devils Tower is a must. The National Park Service website for Devils Tower is here. And the Wikipedia entry is here. I have to admit that I have a strong memory of this landmark because of a stamp that featured it. Way back in the day, I had an uncle who was a big stamp collector, and spent some time with him looking at his collection, and collected a few things of my own. My stamps are still in the basement... I remember this stamp.


Devils Tower is located in northeastern Wyoming, perhaps 50 miles from the South Dakota border. It is an igneous volcanic core, rising 1,267 feet above the surrounding terrain, peaking at 5,112 feet above sea level. There are 13+ miles of trails around the park, including a paved trail that circles the monument. I am hoping that a day trip to here is part of the plan. Based on Leo's stated "I do Devils Tower or I don't go", I don't think this will be a problem.

This is only the first thing I have looked at, but I find it hard to believe that too many other things would rival this as a scenic highlight.

No comments:

Post a Comment