Friday, January 7, 2011

Places to Go, Things to Do

Spending a bunch of time over the past two weeks writing about goals in general and geocaching in particular has gotten me to thinking about specific places I would love to go to do some geocaching. The list that has come to mind so far would include (in no particular order):

  • Washington DC. I haven't been to DC to do any real sightseeing since I was a child, and I would like to get back with my family to see everything again as an adult. And because of the wealth of historic places and monuments, the area around the National Mall west of the Capitol is loaded with virtual caches.
  • Gettysburg, PA. This battlefield is my all-time favorite historic location. Being less than 3 hours from home, I have been there a bunch of times, but not since I began geocaching.
  • Harpers Ferry, WV. This is a beautiful scenic spot at the point where the Shenandoah River joins the Potomac, and is also the point where Maryland, Virginia and West Virginia meet. This is the place to get West Virginia.
  • The Pine Barrens in southern New Jersey. Whether on foot or by boat, I would love to spend some time here. Dave has already mapped out a 10 mile hike he would like to do and I am all for it.
  • Eastern or Western shores of the Chesapeake Bay in Maryland. I love the area and would take any excuse to spend some time roaming around down there.
  • The Upper branches of the Brandywine River in PA near home. This is only a half hour from home and there is no reason not to do this in 2011. By canoe. Finally.
  • The Schuylkill River Trail. There is a 12 mile or so long section of this multi-use trail from the city out to Valley Forge that has somewhere in the neighborhood of 100 caches along it. This is my best chance anywhere around here to get a 100-find day. When the days get longer and Dave and I can scrounge a couple of bikes we intend to do it. It can also be done on foot, but that would be a very long day. Whatever it takes...

I am sure more will occur to me, but this is a good short list. Perhaps this year with a little planning I will be able to do some of these.

No comments:

Post a Comment