Saturday, March 26, 2011


I haven't been posting much recently, but I have been doing a decent bit of hobby stuff in scattered small increments. One little project was to take a batch of twenty-four 15mm Byzantine cavalry that I picked up dirt cheap at the flea market at one of the HMGS conventions and touch up the paint jobs. I think that the figs are Old Glory, but I'm not absolutely sure. The paint jobs on them were very basic and a little sloppy, but I got the batch for considerably less than the unpainted figs would have been, so what the heck.

A couple of weeks later, after a number of brief painting sessions of 15 or 20 minutes here and there I was able to clean up the overall look of the figures, fix the sloppy patches, and repaint the cloaks and some of the detail work. The result is far from spectacular, but after rebasing the figures to make three Impetus style large bases, I think they look acceptable. Close up pictures of the backs of the figures show the cartoon-like highlight exaggeration I did on the cloaks, but the effect of this when viewing these little guys on the table is what I was aiming for. I still have a lot to learn about painting 15mm figs compared to 25mm.

Hmmm. I really should repaint the shields too...

No comments:

Post a Comment