Saturday, June 9, 2012

Attitude Adjustment

Mount Marcy. The highest point in the Adirondacks, and the highest point in New York state. I have to admit that the idea of a 15 mile hike with 3,200 feet of elevation change on the way up and the same 3,200 feet on the way down has been weighing heavily on my mind. I was in decent shape for the Dakotas, but not as good now. And I have done very little hiking this year. Or anything that uses my legs really, not even geocaching in local parks and woods. So I can't exactly pretend that I am prepared physically.

Rereading Dave's blog posts earlier today from the last trip on these same trails was not particularly helpful, as he characterizes it as the hardest hiking he has done (and I know that nothing in the last four years has changed his mind). So I wouldn't exactly say that I am prepared mentally either.

This made me feel pretty gloomy about my prospects of accomplishing this, but also made me realize what I need. I need an attitude adjustment. There is no sense in dreading what should be one my most memorable hiking achievements, and the high point (literally) of a wonderful vacation trip. If I believe I can't do it, then I won't. If I believe that I can, even if I shred a couple of knees in the process, then I will. And so I will. I will go as slow as I need. I will take as many breathers as I need. I will lag behind the rest of the group if I need. But I will get to the top of Mount Marcy. I will.

No comments:

Post a Comment