Saturday, March 31, 2018

Map Work - Underdark

As noted previously, I enjoy sketching out town and location maps as a means of mindless winding down at the end of a long work day.

A recent project has been to begin drawing an Underdark city, the city of Nurgilokk. Nurgilokk exists in the upper layer of the Underdark, and has connections to a number of other locations, notably the human above-ground city of Crygar.
Underdark city (Nurgilokk) in Progress...

I envision this city as a meeting place of many races and cultures. A tense but civil trading location where disparate peoples come together to do business regardless of what their more widespread racial conflicts might be.

I envision connections to the surface at Crygar to the northwest. Connections to a small drow (dark) elf city to the southwest. A river connection to a large underground lake to the south, where kua-toa boatmen would guide small rafts and boats back and forth. Kobold farmers in caves to the east and southeast. And the "main road" connection to the deeper Underdark to the north/northeast.

Whether or not the characters in our campaign, or any characters in any future campaigns, ever visit this place is irrelevant. I will sketch it out and have fun doing so. Maybe I'll finish it. Maybe not. Perhaps it will get used at some point in the future in a way different from what I originally intended. That's fine too.

If I ever finish the map, I'll post it here as well...

No comments:

Post a Comment