Saturday, April 14, 2018

Sketching Fun - April

Nothing much to say here by way of explanation...

As noted previously, I like sketching random towns and settlements for our Dungeons and Dragons games (even stuff that I will likely never need or use). This also gives me the chance to try out different markers, pens, pencils and artists paper, and to try different styles and looks. The below town of perhaps 500 souls is in the style I find myself using currently.
A New Town


The other bit of doodling I like to do, on a grander scale, is world maps. Again, for D&D games that we will never play, and worlds I will never use. Often these are nothing more than evening spare-time killers. The map below is the first sketch of a new world on a 24 inch by 18 inch sketch pad, at 96 miles per inch. So this is a decent chunk of a continent, with islands in the middle and hints of other continents to the west and south.
A New World

I do have the intention of one day coming up with a D&D home-brew fantasy world that has a better overarching design thought process behind it (as opposed to the build as you go world we are playing in now). I like parts of the world we are playing in, and am frustrated by other parts of it.

Oh well.

Sketching and doodling and daydreaming is fun. Not the most productive thing in the world perhaps, but a fun way to spend some time after the kids have settled down and the house is quiet...

No comments:

Post a Comment