Thursday, October 29, 2020

A Thursday Night Painting

Tonight's painting is a 9 by 12 canvas panel loosely replicating a work of Benjamin Haughton. The first pass at this was typical of what I have been doing recently. I paint the sky first, and it is fairly easy to do a semi-realistic sky. Then I move on to the foreground of the painting, which I want to be in a more impressionistic style. As a result, I have been finding that most of my recent paintings have had an inherent clash of styles within the work. This was no different. Impressionistic foreground. Realistic sky.

So I went back and repainted the sky in a more impressionistic style.

It might not be great, but at least when I was finished, the work looked consistent within itself.

Overlooking the Water

Another lesson learned.

No comments:

Post a Comment