Friday, January 22, 2021

Times Change, and the Society of Ancients

When I started this blog in September of 2009, approximately 944 posts and eleven and a half years ago, I couldn't have imagined how much my life, and my focus, would change. The intent of the blog at the start was to be updates on my hobby of historical miniatures wargaming (toy soldiers for adults). Painting figures. Fighting tabletop battles. Collecting figures. Conventions. Making terrain pieces.

That was more or less true for a while, off and on for the better part of at least half a decade, interspersed with bits of whatever else was going on in my life.

Inevitably, the blog would ride the tides of my current areas of interest for a certain period of time. It's fascinating to take some time and go back through what the majority of the posts have been for blocks of time over the years.

Sometimes, beauty is right outside your front door...

Historical miniatures. Literature. Hiking. Geocaching. Music. Sentimental trips down memory lane. Dungeons and Dragons and fantasy roleplaying games. Writing. Art. YouTube inspired re-visits to every concert I was ever privileged to attend in my (mostly) younger days. Family. My kids. Philosophical nonsense ramblings. Learning to paint and draw (art). Political rants. More family stuff. Dog pictures.

Whose chair is this, anyway?...

This rambling journey was brought sharply into focus when the editor of Slingshot, the publication of the esteemed Society of Ancients, a wargaming society in England, contacted me to ask if some pictures from my blog could be used in their publication. Of course I said "of course". And they used some pictures in their most recent issue, and credited me, which was a great honor. Part of our gentleman's agreement was that they would include a link to my blog on their website. Which got me to thinking. My blog hasn't really been primarily about miniatures gaming in quite some time. Recently, my blog has included political rants that some might find...shall we say, off-putting. So I let the SoA folks know that they could scrap the link to my blog if they wanted, for that reason, which I think they did.

I'm proud of my political views and stand by them. Somewhere down the road I would like to think my kids will reflect on my liberal political and social views and respect me for them. I also recognize that this is a completely different thing than someone wanting to go to a blog and find miniatures wargaming content and get something different entirely. So, to the Society of Ancients and specifically the editor of Slingshot, thank you for using my pictures. It is an honor. You are a gentleman, and I thank you.

As for the rest of my blog...it is what it is. In 2009 it was intended to be an outlet for my miniatures wargaming hobby. The pictures used by Slingshot were mostly from 2014. In the ensuing 11+ years since the blog's inception it has proven to be an outlet for that and so much more.

Someday I may even post more wargaming content.

No comments:

Post a Comment