Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Book Review - Fun with Problems by Robert Stone

Robert Stone is more known as a novelist, including the National Book Award winning Dog Soldiers, but he also writes stories. He is a new author for me, but knowing the name, I picked up his new story collection Fun With Problems when it came out earlier this month. I finished reading it last night, and while it was well-written and an effortless read, it certainly wasn't uplifting stuff. Stone's characters are seriously damaged people, and these are dark stories. Not as damaged as, say, Mary Gaitskill people, but then few are... I liked the collection, but you have to have a stomach for this sort of thing otherwise this would be a cheerless slog.

3.5 stars out of 5.

Books read in 2010: 8 [totalling 1,658 pages]
New authors: 6
Books from 2010: 2 (including this)
Classics: 3

I have started Steve Yarbrough's new novel Safe From the Neighbors and am loving it so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment