Saturday, August 28, 2010

Geocaching Update

It has been a good last few weeks as far as geocaching accomplishments go. As my wife has learned, geocachers tend to be pretty geeky about collecting new accomplishments. This can be in the form of daily streaks, collecting new states, additional counties within states that you are trying to complete, or whatever. Over the past month or so, I have found caches in several new counties in Pennsylvania and New Jersey, found caches for the first time in Utah, Wyoming and Missouri, and have added onto various miscellaneous things that us geocachers keep track of.
The best thing of all, however, is that my younger daughter seems to really enjoy geocaching with me (as long as it is not too strenuous and not too hot!). On weekend days, she routinely asks if we are going out geocaching, and within the last week or so asked if I could create her own geocaching ID for her so that she could track her finds and her accomplishments separate from mine. With a minor investment of $30 and a few hours to backfill some records, we have accomplished that. And she is thrilled, which is great. So now when I set out on a little weekend geocaching jaunt, not only am I trying to run up some accomplishments for myself, but I have a dedicated sidekick with goals of her own. Being a parent is a non-stop series of unplanned and unexpected events, and geocaching has proven to be one of those for me and LittleCacherG.

No comments:

Post a Comment