Saturday, August 28, 2010

Wanderlust

As the days grow a little less oppressive here in suburban Philadelphia, the more my thoughts seem to turn towards the need to get out and do a serious day hike somewhere... Other than some geocaching, either by myself or with a daughter or two, I have not done any real hiking since the Pinchot Trail trip in late June. Part of this is certainly due to time commitments of work, family, et al, but probably more is related to the fact that it is just too darn hot to consider a serious hike when the temperatures are in the 90's and the humidity is high. Die hard outdoorsy types may be thumbing their noses at me at this point, but I hike for fun, and my idea of fun is not a sweat drenched sunstroke inducing slog in August in this climate.

All that being said, the temperatures should be moderating here soon, and there are a few prime hiking months on the immediate horizon. There are still a wide array of fantastic day hikes around here that I have not done, ranging from simple things like a return to Hawk Mountain during the fall migration, to more ambitious things like Ricketts Glen, or Holtwood on the Susquehanna River.

Whatever the ultimate destination, I definitely feel a change of seasons coming - hiking and outdoors in the Fall, before getting back to more hobby related things in the winter months. It certainly is safe to say that wanderlust is upon me...

No comments:

Post a Comment