Saturday, August 21, 2010

Wyoming Side Trip - 8/18/2010

One of the little obsessions that some travellers in general, and certainly geocachers in particular, get wrapped up in is bagging new states. Never having been to Wyoming, and knowing that I was less than 50 miles from the border, I knew I had to try to find a way to get there...
With the evening of 8/18 not tied up with any particular group events, I took the opportunity to be antisocial and borrow a rented Jeep Cherokee from a friend and make a run for the border. The border of Wyoming that is. I had scoped out a handful of easy caches in the town of Evanston Wyoming, just over the state line on I-80. The drive to Wyoming was worth it in and of itself, passing beautiful mountains, geologic formations and other sights, such as Echo Lake, Utah.
Part of my archaeology degree in college was some geology training, and I am still fascinated by sights like this. Hard to imagine something much more different than the Philadelphia suburbs I am used to.
Welcome to Wyoming. I found all 6 caches I looked for in Wyoming, choked down a fast food dinner, and headed back to Park City. (Given two more hours of daylight, I would have continued north to Bear Lake Idaho. Darn...).

Sunset on the way home.
Big Sky country at dusk. It was so beautiful it was hard to pay attention to the road. Which reminds me... 75 mph speed limits are fun!
At the cost of one hour out, 30 minutes in Wyoming, and one hour back, I was able to visit a new state and get 6 geocaches in excess of 6,500 feet elevation. Call me a geek, but that's 3 hours well spent.

No comments:

Post a Comment