Tuesday, October 19, 2010

The Year Without Golf

A thought occurred to me the other day. It's mid-October and I haven't played a single round of golf in 2010. I haven't even swung a club at a driving range for that matter. This has happened before, but not recently. Prior to maybe 4 years ago I had gone about a decade without swinging a club, and kinda missed it but not too much. None of my friends are rabid golfers, and Dave had fallen off the golfing wagon also. When we started playing again a few years ago, I really enjoyed it, and got out between 5 and 10 times a year. Not a whole lot, but enough. Given that a round of golf is a 5-hour time commitment, that is about all I could reasonably expect. Plenty of other interests and plenty of other things going on.

As for what happened this year, I'm not quite sure. I never made a conscious decision not to play. I thought about it from time to time, and several times said to people "I haven't gotten out this year...we need to play." But it just never worked out. Obviously, if I had the burning desire, it would have been an easy thing. So I guess my level of interest this year just wasn't there. In a way this is odd, because when I stop and think about it, I really do want to grab my clubs and go.

One thing that is a mental hindrance at this point is the knowledge that the next time I do go out I will be rusty, out of practice, and the potential for disaster is high. Avoiding it won't help though, so I need to go into it with the proper attitude - I will be terrible but can have fun anyway. There is time left in the year. Maybe...who knows.

No comments:

Post a Comment