Saturday, August 27, 2011

I Feel Small

While riding out the hurricane, such as it is at this point, Anthony and I were goofing around with YouTube. Searching out old videos of such songs as "End of the World" by REM and "Rock You Like a Hurricane" by the Scorpions. Then we stumbled on this. As the title says, I am humbled. This kind of talent boggles the mind. Derek Trucks. Thirteen years old. Ack! I truly do feel small.

I am not 100% sure why I am moved so much by this video clip, but I guess it is because I value musical talent above perhaps any other kind. Prodigies of any type are a wonder, but it is the musical ones that make me the most envious. If there were anything I could choose to excel at, I think music would be my choice. Music can make a happy soul dance, a sad soul wail in desperation... in other words, make you do whatever it is that it wants you to do. I watch this with rapt amazement and cannot help but think "I wish..."

No comments:

Post a Comment