Wednesday, November 18, 2020

2020 Sucks

This year has been, with minor exceptions, horrible. And it shows every indication of getting far worse this winter before it hopefully gets better in the spring.

Nothing is normal. Everything is cancelled, or at least postponed. I'm an admitted homebody and confirmed introvert, but even I can't do many of the things that I would normally do. I have a hard time imagining what an extrovert must be feeling.

Covid scares are everywhere. We've had a few negative tests in the family. So far so good, I guess. But we have friends that have had it, some milder and some worse. And some friends and family dead and gone.

I'm generally a positive and optimistic person, but it's difficult sometimes. Stories are everywhere about the mental health impacts of the pandemic, and I can empathize. As I said, I am a generally happy and optimistic person, but it's hard sometimes. And if it's hard for an optimist...

In these tough times, I find myself falling back on the things that give me comfort and joy. Family. Cooking. Fiddling around (badly) on the guitars hanging on the wall in the basement. Learning to paint.

Music continues to be, as it has always been to me, a comfort. And while silver linings during the pandemic are hard to come by, there are a number of musicians and bands posting great videos of quarantine music. I envy their talent, and am thankful for what that talent brings into the world.

The Doobie Brothers YouTube channel is a gem. I have posted links to some of their songs before, but they recently posted a video, with Peter Frampton, of the Eric Clapton song Let It Rain, which has always been a favorite of mine.

Another great channel has been John Fogerty's, where he posts new versions of his classic songs accompanied by his daughter and two sons. This is City of New Orleans, from a few months ago. And here is Have You Ever Seen the Rain. Check out the rest of their songs from this year on his channel.

Be well. Check on your friends to see how they are doing. Talk to people. 

Wear a mask.

Stay safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment