Sunday, December 5, 2010

Philly Pops Holiday Concert

With everything that has been going on over the last couple of weeks, this weekend is really the kickoff of my family's holiday season. Yesterday afternoon we went to see Peter Nero and the Philly Pops holiday concert matinee at the Kimmel Center in downtown Philly.
Amparo has taken my mom and brother Chris many times over the years but this is the first time that we have thought Grace was old enough to attempt it, so this year all 6 of us went. This was also a first for me. I think I saw a Philly Pops concert many years ago, but I believe it was a Broadway show and not a holiday show. In either case it has been many years.
We had seats way up in the nosebleeds, but every seat in the place is good, and I really love the architecture and design of the Kimmel. The concert itself was terrific with a wide range of Christmas and Hannukah music. Special guest soloist was Rachel York, who I am sure that Amparo and I saw on Broadway several years ago when we saw Julie Andrews in Victor Victoria (York was the young moll). In addition to the Pops, there were about 250 singers including the Pops Festival Chorus, the Philadelphia Boys Choir and the African Episcopal Gospel Choir of St Thomas. Each contributed to the show individually and together. The girls especially loved the gospel choir (as did I!).
It was a great day. The kids enjoyed the music, liked being out on the town, and we had a nice dinner afterwards. I would very much like this to become an annual tradition for the whole family in the years to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment