Thursday, December 11, 2014

Analogue Hobbies Painting Challenge

Something I have followed on other's blogs in past years is the Analogue Hobbies annual painting challenge. Basically, people pick a target number of points, and (this year) have between December 5 and March 20, 2015 to amass as many points as they can. Points are awarded based on type of figure and scale. Given that I paint almost exclusively in 25/28mm, to me this would mean 5 points for each foot figure and 10 points for each mounted figure (or artillery piece). If I were to do some additional 15mm WW2 painting, these would be 2 points per foot figure and 6 points per vehicle.

In the official challenge, figures must be painted, based and flocked (in other words, completely done), and then submitted to the website via photo with description. I don't intend to officially enter the Challenge, but I do intend to paint along on my own. I will score my results the same way.

With that in mind, given that the cold winter "indoor" months are upon us, I will challenge myself with a stretch goal of 1,000 points. This would be a lot of painting for me to tackle in 3 months (a year's worth in some cases). To accomplish this would require painting 4 bags of Old Glory foot (120 figs for 600 points) and 4 bags of Old Glory mounted (40 figs for 400 points).

Under the contest rules, figures could be prepped and primed before 12/5, but no paint could be applied before then for a figure to qualify. By those rules, I will have completed 12 foot figures for 60 points as soon as I get the Voynuks based up - they were painted on the 6th and 7th. I have Ottoman sipahis and a few Spanish jinetes in process that will not qualify, but lots after that that will.

If nothing else, this gives me a little bit of focus and perhaps some sense of urgency. I don't generally set painting goals, but this might be fun to try. We'll see how it goes...

[12/14/14] - In retrospect... Looking back at the above a few days later, I must have been out of my mind. A more reasonable goal would be 500 points, taking into account that there are other hobby things going on these days, such as running our fledgling D&D campaign. But I did say 1,000 points, so I'll stick to that. And when I fail (most likely badly), I can say "I told me so!"

No comments:

Post a Comment