At the halfway point of the year, posted in summary here on June 30, I had read 11 books by ten different authors. Over the second half of the year I was mainly reading history and wargaming stuff, but did mange to get in 4 more fiction books, all by authors I had read before.
Total books: 15 (by 11 different authors, including 6 new ones for me).
Total pages: 4,386.
Best books of the year for me in 2014 (in order):
- The Painter by Peter Heller. A marvelous work by someone I hadn't read before. My only five star book this year.
- The Son by Philipp Meyer. Another sensational (and big) book by the author of American Rust, one of my favorite books of 2009.
- A terrific pair by Wiley Cash (another new author for me); This Dark Road to Mercy and the almost equally good A Land More Kind than Home.
Full year summary (new authors for me in italics):
- 5 - The Painter (Peter Heller)
- 4.5 - The Son (Philipp Meyer)
- 4.5 - This Dark Road to Mercy (Wiley Cash)
- 4 - A Land More Kind Than Home (Wiley Cash)
- 4 - The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao (Junot Diaz)
- 4 - The Realm of Last Chances (Steve Yarbrough)
- 4 - Buying a Fishing Rod for my Grandfather [Stories] (Gao Xingjian)
- 4 - St Burl's Obituary (Daniel Akst)
- 3.5 - Netherland (Joseph O'Neill)
- 3.5 - The Burgess Boys (Elizabeth Strout)
- 3.5 - There Must Be Some Mistake (Frederick Barthelme)
- 3.5 - The Brothers (Frederick Barthelme)
- 3.5 - Drown [Stories] (Junot Diaz)
- 2.5 - Two Against One (Frederick Barthelme)
- 4.5 - The Vintage Caper (Peter Mayle)