Wednesday, May 6, 2020

Castello Banfi Progress May 6

I've made a little progress on the Castello Banfi acrylic painting over the last couple evenings. I am taking it slow and steady, but I am pleased so far. I think it looks good.

I have focused on a small but critically important area of the painting; the buildings at the top of the hill, and the trees and bushes along the painting's horizon. It's been a challenge in that I don't have that many different colors of acrylic paint, and I have had to mix all of my greens from a base of chromium oxide green, or blue and yellow primary colors. I have a lot to learn about color mixing. I watch artists on YouTube paint with 3 or 4 colors and I am dumbfounded...
Castello Banfi Detailing - Close Up

As I look at it now, and in pictures, the shadows are more red than I would like. I will either have to attempt to correct them to a more brownish shade, or live with them as they are. On the one hand, it nags at me. On the other hand I should probably leave well enough alone at least until the first pass at painting everything is complete.

The foreground remains simple blocking in of placeholder colors. Don't worry, it will get better. I hope. On second thought, as I said yesterday, hope is not a plan. So... It will get better. Promise.

As an aside about the whole color mixing issue, I am helping to keep some tiny part of the economy going by mail-ordering 10 tubes of Golden Heavy Body acrylics from Jerry's Artarama (my 5th order in the last 2 months...). Since my main interest is in landscapes, I have picked out a nice selection of greens, browns, tans, grays and a black. Easier starting points for color-tweaking, if not color mixing.

No comments:

Post a Comment