Saturday, September 4, 2021

Atmospheric Perspective Study, part 1

I'm not the best planner when it comes to my painting. I sat down Thursday evening to do a simple practice sketch of atmospheric perspective and color mixing. Mountains receding into the distance.

Desert Mountains, block in (oils on canvas, 16 by 20)

Then I got to the point where I realized I should actually try to make a painting out of this since I had used a 16" by 20" canvas (albeit a cheap one).

Desert Mtns, adding foreground (oils on canvas, 16 by 20)

So now I am stuck with trying to figure out how to backfill a composition in the bottom half of the canvas when all I had really paid any attention to was a first layer of blocking in on the top half.

Desert Mountains, sunset sky (oils on canvas, 16 by 20)

Not sure where this will end up, but I may be able to salvage something out of this. More to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment