Thursday, May 20, 2010

Book Review - Mississippi History (Stories)

Over the last few days I have plowed through an early story collection by Steve Yarbrough titled Mississippi History. This is his second collection, and was published in 1994, before any of his novels or later stories. It does read like a less polished incarnation of his more recent works, but the same things I like about his newer stuff are true here as well: good characters, interesting situations, an easy to read style, and stories that are very evocative of life in the deep South. Or at least what would seem like the deep South to a lifelong yankee. Maybe I should say very evocative of something very different than what I have known...

Solid at 3.5 stars. Maybe 4. Somewhere right in there.

Books read in 2010: 12 [totalling 2,626 pages]
New authors: still 7
Published in 2010: still 4
Classics: still 3

Up next, I am a couple stories into Burning Bright by Ron Rash, but I think I am also going to jump into a novel called Broken Glass Park by Alina Bronsky.

No comments:

Post a Comment