Saturday, April 25, 2020

Back to Oils

Covid-19 Day 44 at home. It's Saturday, I think.

After spending some time working on some basic watercolor sketches, I've gone back to starting both an oil painting and an acrylic painting. This is the start of the new oil painting. It's on a 16" by 20" stretched canvas.

As an aside on Covid-19 hoarding, Jerry's Artarama had a great sale and I mail-ordered a half dozen 11"x14" canvases and a full box of 20 canvases of 16"x20". So that should hold me for a while...

Yet another YouTuber who I have been watching is CLIVE5ART, a Welsh artist who paints mainly in acrylics. This is a loose copy of an acrylic painting he did recently as a "Turner-esque" landscape. I am following bits but not completely literally.
Underpainting (16" by 20", after CLIVE5ART)

I like the dramatic and somewhat unusual sky, which is (I think) done. There is phthalo blue, cerulean blue, naples yellow, payne's gray and titanium white in the sky. [All Gamblin 1980 colors]

The bottom half of the painting will get a lot more work when this paint layer is dry in a few days. Likely next weekend.

I showed this to Amp in its current state and she said "it's sad". I guess I can't completely disagree. I've always been drawn to landscapes that could be described as any combination of stark, bleak, desolate, haunting, etc... I'm not sure what that says about me, but they seem...I don't know...real.

Anyway, I'm not exactly sure where I am headed here, but I will post again when I get there. Or at least get closer.

No comments:

Post a Comment