Wednesday, April 29, 2020

Hunchback of Notre Dame, November 2019

This should have been posted back in November 2019, but I wasn't posting much in that time period, for whatever reason. Which isn't a knock on this show.

I would have to say that I didn't know much about The Hunchback of Notre Dame as a Broadway show, but I have come to love it as much as just about any other show. Great music, good staging, and an impactful story.

Highlights from the Thursday show and cast:
  • Feast of Fools at 31:05
  • Rest and Recreation at 34:45, including my Grace getting busted for pickpocketing at 36:00
  • God Help the Outcasts, the prettiest song in the show, at 50:25
  • Hellfire. Great costumes and effects, at 1:12:00
  • Esmerelda and Act I Finale, at 1:16:00 and 1:21:00
  • Entr'acte into Act II at 1:24:50
  • Esmerelda in Flames at 2:00:00
  • Death of Esmerelda at 2:04:50
  • Frollo Falls at 2:06:30
  • Quasimodo's Lament and Finale at 2:09:00
  • Curtain Calls at 2:14:00
The Friday show and cast was equally good, and I would be remiss if I didn't highlight one of my favorite moments of any GVPAA show in the entire time we have been involved and watching them (God Help the Outcasts)...
  • Alicia's "God Help the Outcasts" at 49:30.
  • Top of the World at 55:45
Grace was a featured dancer and a gypsy in this show. It had a lot of what she likes: dancing, ensemble singing, tumbling, and all that.
Gypsies backstage

Amp's costume team keeps raising the bar, as do the set folks, special effects, makeup, and every other aspect of the show.
Gina, Grace and Julia

Gypsy Grace.
Gypsy Grace and Amp

Frollo in the costume that I dubbed "Darth Frollo". Super cool. I want one to wear around the house. So, apparently, do a bunch of others...
Amp with Nick as "Darth Frollo"

A prosthetics designer helped with some of the gargoyles and "living statues". Saint Aphrodisius was amazing.
Amp with Saint Aphrodisius

Both Esmereldas were amazing. Alicia has the voice of an angel...
Amp with Alicia as "Ghost Esmerelda"

Anyway, enough gushing. I love this show, underrated as it is. I would rank it up there with Les Miserables back in 2014 as my favorite GVPAA show of all time... And that's saying a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment