Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Painting Table Sept 9 2009

So what's on the painting table now? In prep for Fall In, I have the following lined up:
  • A unit of Cheshire longbowmen (12 figures), mostly done. According to HJ Hewitt in The Black Prince's Expedition, archers from Cheshire were some of the first "uniformed" troops in western Europe, wearing tunics with split green and white. I am adding one unit of them as they will stand out.
  • A unit of mercenary Italian crossbows (16 figures), primed and started. I am using 12th Century Crossbowmen figs for these. They work ok for HYW, and will fit in with a variety of earlier periods as well. These are decent figs that can realistically used from 1100 to 1400 or so. I would use Genoese crossbowmen from the HYW range if I hadn't been too lazy to getting around to buying them. Too late now.
  • Two or three mounted banner bearers, to be based singly, not started. I will use French caparisoned knights for these, chopping and drilling the weapon hands to hold flag poles.
  • Another unit or two of dismounted French men at arms wouldn't be a bad idea, but I might not need them. These would be easy enough to knock out, as the figs can mostly be dry-brushed for the mail and armor and only the tunics and details need painting.

Here a few English dismounted men at arms for the French to go up against. These are proof pictures from Fernando Enterprises in Sri Lanka, who paint some of my stuff for me. I know, I cheat...


All the figures I am working on at the moment, and most of my medieval figures for that matter, are Old Glory 25mm.

After Fall In, what comes next? I have a few odds and ends of Hundred Years War to complete, some Wars of the Roses retinue figs, and then I need to decide on which major new project to embark on - Renaissance Italian Wars or medieval Ottomans and assorted Eastern Europeans. Both are tempting, and I have plenty of unpainted lead waiting in the wings for each of them. I would really like to do Nicopolis (western European crusaders and Hungarians against Ottomans and their allies in 1396), so maybe I am leaning in that direction. We shall see....

No comments:

Post a Comment