Monday, October 12, 2009

Currently Reading - October 12, 2009

In and around the Phillies/Rockies playoff game last night, which ended in a 6-5 Phillies win at 2:15am out in Denver, I finished Arthur Phillips' The Song is You. What a fantastic book! It is a compelling story of love, loss, hopes, dreams and human frailty crafted against a backdrop of music and the iPod age. I liked the central theme of an improbable if not impossible love as a man seeks to reconstruct his life after a tragedy, and how it is eventually resolved. Not an original idea necessarily, but well executed. The book started well, but really picked up speed as it went along, and by the end I couldn't put it down because I need to know how it ended, and I cared about the characters. Which is really the best thing you can say about a book. Very highly recommended.

Not having read anything by Phillips before, I will count this as book #1 against my reading goal of 4 new authors over the remainder of the year.

Next up - I am starting The Last Known Residence of Mickey Acuna (1994) by Dagoberto Gilb. I also still need to keep plugging away on the Maile Meloy story collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment