Friday, April 8, 2011

Geocaching my way to Gettysburg

This weekend I will be attending a history seminar in Gettysburg with a couple of friends, Phil and Tim. The Friday evening session is a lecture that begins at 7pm, so I really didn't need to be out there until 6 or 6:30, but I figured as long as I needed to take part of a day off, I might as well take the whole day and see how much geocaching I could cram into one day.

My plan was to get the kids off to school and be on the road by about 8:00am. Total drive time to Gettysburg isn't much more than 2 hours if all went well, which would leave me a good seven hours or so to geocache and maybe spend some additional time on the battlefield. I knew that there were 6 virtual caches on or near the battlefield that I wanted to do, and having done my homework, I had mapped out lots of easy caches in the area.

The only down side to the day was the persistent off and on light rain showers, which were just enough to be annoying without getting me too wet. The weather could have been better, but it also could have been a lot worse. I started the day with 4 caches in Cumberland county (a new one for me) just off the PA Turnpike at route 15, and 3 more near Dillsburg in York county, where I had only had one cache previously.


Then on to Gettysburg, where I accomplished everything I could have hoped for and more. The picture of the map shows everything I found, which also included most of the cluster of caches in the area to the SE labelled "map 1" which aren't crossed off. By the time I met Phil at the hotel before heading to the lecture, I had found 34 caches, making it my best day ever. My previous best had been 31 caches on the American Tobacco Trail in NC. The day's final tally included 2 puzzle caches, 6 virtuals, 24 traditionals, and surprisingly 2 earthcaches. Earthcaches are educational geology-oriented caches that can either be fairly easy or in some cases very difficult. The two that I did here were easy, and included looking at the rock formations of Devil's Den and finding a fossil footprint on a stone used in constructing a bridge on south Confederate Avenue. These were only my 3rd and 4th earthcaches, and were fun to do.


The actual seminar was absolutely terrific; more on that in other posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment