Monday, February 8, 2021

Crossing the Rubicon

If you have an issue with a work that is going to bother you, make the bold choice. Cross the Rubicon and leave yourself no other option than to fix it.

As I wrote in the prior blog post, the painting I wasn't satisfied with was sitting on my improvised table easel a mere 20 feet from where I sat.

So after some repeated tweaking of the wording on the prior post, I wandered into the dining room (a pandemic-never-used-room that now serves as my main painting studio), and scratched out the parts of the painting that I said I couldn't really live with, and I sketched in an under-painting to replace what I didn't like.

This doesn't commit me to being satisfied with the new sketches, but it does commit me to not settling for what I knew didn't look or feel right.

So here is what I will be working from to try to finish this work:

Phase 5 - Fix the Foreground...

For better or worse, I have a few thoughts on what to do with the foreground.

Whatever the end result, the thought process was sound.

Postscript - I'm not sure I'm going to touch this again. It may be one of my favorites of anything I have done since I started painting a year ago...

No comments:

Post a Comment