Friday, February 12, 2021

Painting Progress

On the 15th of February, 2020, almost exactly one year ago, I painted my first-ever painting in oils. Something I have been wanting to do perhaps my whole adult life.

The painting, a Bob Ross inspired mountain scene, was painted without the proper tools, any knowledge of what I was doing, and it was a mess. And I say this with great fondness. It was my first painting. There is a bit of atmospheric perspective between the near and distant mountains...and that's about all the good that can be said about it. Which is fine.

Bob Ross?? (Bob would deny this...)

I went looking for it today, but I think I threw it away a few months ago in a fit of frustration that it was a bad painting, while cleaning up in the basement. Sigh. I'm stupid sometimes. Perhaps more often than I'd like to admit.

I only post this picture again in the hopes that I can look back on the past year and reflect on all that I have learned, which is a lot. I have a very long way to go to be able to create the paintings that I can see so perfectly clearly in my head. But I find it encouraging and energizing to think that I have progressed from that first painting to some of what I have been working on recently.

It's a journey, and I am enjoying it.

No comments:

Post a Comment