Sunday, February 14, 2021

Palette Exercise #1

It's time for bed, and I thought I would try something fun. I looked at the remnants of paint on my palette and asked myself "I wonder what I could paint with that?"

I pulled out my iPhone and set the timer to 7 minutes. Nothing like a hard deadline.

6 minutes and 43 seconds later I had this.

Palette Exercise #1 (11 by 14, oils on canvas panel)

Interesting... Childlike but interesting.

PS - Colors left on the palette, if anyone cares, were mainly French blue, Sap green, Yellow ochre, Burnt umber, Burnt sienna, French red deep, Warm gray, Tropical green and Meadow green. There was also the tiniest touch of white along with whatever mixing puddles were left on the palette in small quantities. All colors were Charvin Fine Oils.

Dirty disorganized palette

This was fun, and while the outcome isn't all that great, it was a valuable exercise in trying to loosen up and let go. I have trouble doing that. Maybe in the future I will lay out a standard palette of colors and set a deadline to complete a small sketch in 15 or 20 minutes. Or pull 6 or 7 random tubes of paint out of a box and have to use whatever I get. I can see some utility in mixing some short exercise like this into my routine.

No comments:

Post a Comment