Wednesday, February 10, 2021

Two Finished Paintings

After a few minor touchups I would now consider these done. I'm happy with both of them, and photographing them in natural daylight helps immensely.

Once the painting had dried, I went back and tidied up the smaller bluff on the left, and added proper hints of trees high on the large bluff to better match the original picture, and to break up the longer horizontal lines. 

Near Scottsbluff (oils, 11 by 14 panel)

The bottom of the next one didn't look right, so I scrubbed out some of the mass of bushes and vegetation along the bottom edge and added grassy areas instead. Lastly, the building needed to lose a window and have its roof angled to better seem to be pointing toward the water.

Across a River (oils, 12 by 16 panel)

I still have a very long way to go to be able to better execute what I am trying to paint, but I feel like my eye is getting better, as far as being able to critique my own work goes. For a good part of my first year of painting (which is coming up in a few days, I think), I could look at one my paintings and know that it didn't look right. Now I can usually tell specifically what doesn't look right, and why. 

No comments:

Post a Comment