Friday, January 29, 2010

Book Review - My Father's Tears by John Updike

Just a quick note that I finished John Updike's final story collection, My Father's Tears (2009). I would say that these were solid if unspectacular stories, but it may be that my frame of reference is such that I cannot truly appreciate them at a deeper level. What I mean by that is that many if not most of the stories in this collection deal with issues of older men in the twilight of their lives. Being in my early to mid-forties, I can try to imagine what that would be like, but cannot really understand. In much the same way that Philip Roth's recent works have focused on mortality, legacy and the like, I can appreciate them without connecting with them.

A solid 3.5 stars out of 5.

Books read in 2010: 4.
Books by new authors: 3 (Canin, Harding and Updike).
Books published in 2010: (none yet).

I suspect that my fiction reading will go on the back burner for a little while as I received my copy of Black Powder miniatures rules in the mail yesterday and am diving into that. Good eye candy if nothing else...

Up soon on the fiction side may be Steve Yarbrough's new novel Safe From the Neighbors, which was just published and should be arriving soon from Amazon. Disney says that Disney World is the happiest place on earth, but they are wrong - Amazon.com is the happiest place on earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment