Monday, January 4, 2010

Musical Tidbit - Buddy Guy

The kids are in bed asleep, the house is quiet, and I am listening to a classic album while putting together my order to get my 2009 blog postings in book format via blog2print.com. (Highly recommended by the way. I saw brother Dave's softcover copy of his 2009 postings over the holidays and it was a quality product.)

Feels Like Rain by Buddy Guy (1993). Pop tinged blues from an old time master. I have 7 or 8 of Buddy's albums and like them all, but this classic album is blues pop that would be accessible to many more folks than his more truly bluesy albums. If you like blues guitar and soulful singing, give this a try. The title track is one of my all time favorite songs.

Down here the river meets the sea
And in the sticky heat I feel ya opening up to me
Love comes out of nowhere Baby
Just like a hurricane
And it feels like rain
And it feels like rain

Lying here, underneath the stars right next to you
And I'm wondering who you are and
How do you do?
How do you do, Baby?
The clouds roll in across the moon
And the wind howls out your name
And it feels like rain
And it feels like rain...

So batten down the hatch Baby
And leave your heart up your sleeve
It looks like we're in for stormy weather
Ain't no cause for us to leave
Just lay here in my arms
Let it wash away the pain
And it feels like rain
And it feels like rain

I love this track, but the whole album is solid end to end.

Damned Right I've Got the Blues (1991 Grammy winner) is just as good.

All of which reminds me of a great George Carlin bit that Dave's blog quoted recently (sorry Dave for the blatant pilfering...). "White people ought to understand it's their job to give people the blues, not to get them. And certainly not to sing or play them. ...it's not enough to know which notes to play. You need to know why they need to be played. ...what do white people have to be blue about...Banana Republic ran out of khakis?"

1 comment:

  1. Hey Eric,

    I saw your post on MacPhee's blog and you mentioned you're in suburban Philadelphia. So am I(Upper Dublin, Montgomery County) and I'm always looking for opponents to play historical minatures. If you're interested in a game, drop me a line at k.portner@verizon.net Thanks.

    Ken

    ReplyDelete