Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Book Review - Tinkers, by Paul Harding

I finished Tinkers by Paul Harding (2009) last night after starting it late last year, getting distracted into other things around the holidays, and then rewinding and finishing up this year. This book was a very highly regarded first novel, and while I liked it, it never really completely pulled me in to the point that I couldn't wait to get to the end. Harding's style certainly wasn't bad, but I never completely felt like I got into a groove, which I often do. I also never read a passage that made me grab a pad and pen off the nightstand and make a note of the page so that I would remember to quote it here in the blog.

3.5 stars out of 5. Almost very good but not quite.

This is book 2 of 2010 for those of you keeping score at home. And new author number 1.

In the early lead for book of the year remains JM Coetzee's Summertime.

No comments:

Post a Comment